Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Breastfeeding Update

Well since finishing my antibiotics last week for mastitis I was determined to quit breastfeeding. At first I decided I was going to just pump and feed her what I pump. Well that was turning out to be a pain. So then this past weekend I decided that I was going to slowly wean myself off of pumping and be done with breastfeeding totally. Well yesterday I decided I was really not ready to quit breastfeeding at all. Emotionally I really wasn't ready and it makes me feel so much closer to Maddie. I knew if I decided to keep it going I could not stop again and keep changing my mind, so we are in it for the long haul. I'm still using the shield which is fine. She has always only been able to latch onto one side, but not consistently, but never on the other side. Earlier today I was about to feed her and Oscar was washing off the shield and I just put her on the side she has never latched onto and she latched on and ate on it for 10 minutes. Then I had to put the shield on, but hey its better than nothing. At least she has shown me that she can latch onto both sides without the shield. So I'm praying that she will continue to take little steps towards no shield. We are still supplementing when needed. Overall, I'm glad I made the decision to keep going and I pray it will get better. Even though sometimes it seems like an inconvenience, I know this will only be for a short time in my life and I want to enjoy it. It already seems better than it was.


8 comments:

Briggs said...

So proud of you. Even though it's hard it is hard to give up on. Continue to hang in there and one day it will be 9 months later and you'll be shocked you made it that far! Sorry didn't call today. We were quite busy but I'll holler at ya tomorrow!

Matt, Andrea, Luke and Halle said...

Way to hang in there! The first month is the hardest, so be encouraged that it only gets easier and easier ... I promise!

Mindy F said...

It will get better, Laura! You're selflessly doing what's best for your baby, even though it's not what's easiest. You're doing awesome!!!

Shannon Morrison said...

way to go madelyn! you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! God is good! Way to keep going. Each day will be better and before you know it you're going to miss that special time. I'm way impressed with how you're sticking it out. Oh, and if I haven't mentioned it, she's adorable!!! Congratulations!!
Lori :)

Candace said...

I'm so glad it's working out!!

Anonymous said...

I have a sling, that you are more than welcome to use/ have if you want it. I don't use it anymore, and bought a front pack carrier. I felt like Jacob was getting too big for the sling and it was scrunching him up, he likes to look around. But before they can hold their heads up good, the sling is great for carrying around. We are going to the pool tomorrow at MP and I could drop it by your house. I will call Tiffany and get your number tomorrow.

Tara said...

I'm sure all of your perseverence will pay off! I'll be calling you with questions soon : )
I had an apt. today & I'm dilated to 3! He "stripped my membranes" to help get things going a little more. Hopefully we'll have a baby soon - we'll keep posting updates on the blog.