Right after I.V.
This thing was hard too b/c they put a board on her arm so she wouldn't bend it, so she had to keep it straight the whole time. It looked so uncomfortable. The nurse found us a glider for our room since Maddie likes to rock and she took a little nap that evening. Then about 8:30 that night a guy comes in to say he is taking her to get her ultrasound. We were like right now? So we went down to do that and they took pictures of her kidneys and bladder. It didn't hurt, but she cried the whole time.
So we get back to the room and try to get to bed. There was a crib in the room and a bed. So she wouldn't lay in the crib by herself so I laid down on the bed with her and she fell asleep. Oscar ended up making a pallet on the floor. Around midnight the nurse says she can take the crib out and bring in a toddler bed that we can fit on. So that worked out much better. Oscar and I got a few hours of sleep here and there and Maddie had a hard time sleeping with the I.V. in, plus they come in to take her stats during the night. She ran fever that night again. So on Thursday her doctor comes in and says he wants her to get another round of antibiotics and stay one more night. He also says he wants her to get a VCUG test done to look at her organs. The ultrasound results came back normal, so that was great news. On Thursday she was still pretty fussy.
The nurse comes in to look at her I.V. and her arm was really swollen. She said would feel more comfortable taking it out. She took it out and Maddie's arm got even bigger and her shoulder and chest started swelling too with all the fluid. She also had to get another urine sample, so they had to cath her and get some. It was quick and not too bad. She let her keep her I.V. out for several hours until it was time for antibiotic. So she played around some and watched her DVD's. We had a DVD player in our room which was a lifesaver! The nurse said she wanted to try and get the I.V. in the other arm. This time she got it in the side of her hand. I think this was worst than the 1st time. Oscar was literally holding her whole body down. I was about to pass out! But this was so much better b/c they just wrapped up her hand with gauze and she could bend her arm. It was much easier to get around!
Her new I.V.
Thursday night she goes right to sleep at 6:45. As long as she didn't run fever and her urine sample came back good and we got one more test done on Friday then we would be released! She slept great on Thursday night, pretty much all night except for when they came in to get stats. She didn't run any fever and seemed in good spirits! We saw the doctor and he said her test was at 2:00 and then we would be discharged! So Friday we pretty much just waited around. Maddie played and they had a Valentine's party for the kids too. Maddie came home with all kids of toys and treats!
We knew this VCUG test was going to be unpleasant. They had to put a catheter in first and then we wheeled her down to get X-rays in a wagon which she loved. When we got down to the X-ray room I realized I couldn't go in there b/c I was pregnant. So Oscar went in and I had to sit out and hear her cry :(. Oscar said the worst part was when the catheter came out and they had to rip off the tape to put another one it! Then they inserted dye and took X-rays of some organs to make sure everything was in its proper place and looked normal. Everything looked great thank the Lord! So we got back and waited to get our papers and then we went home!
Having fun in the wagon...
We were sooo tired last night by the time we got home. Poor Oscar had a soccer game last night that he went to, I know he was exhausted! Maddie slept great last night and has taken her new antibiotic medicine easily. We really appreciate all of the support and love we received from so many people. It was neat to see people we didn't know that well or haven't known very long that reached out to us in some way. After going through this I won't hesitate to do that to others even if I don't know them that well! We are thankful the Lord has healed her and she is on the mend. She is back to her normal self today and playing like usual.



9 comments:
Been praying for that precious girl. So glad you guys are home and Maddie is better!!
I'm so glad everything has gotten back to normal! I can't imagine how hard that whole ordeal was for you guys as parents and for her as well. Lori (Negron) and I have been thinking of you and praying for you all!
So glad Maddie is getting better!!! I am so sorry yall had to go thru that... bubbles are the devil!!!!
I didnt share the other day that our pedi said no to Baby powder too. The same thing would happen, I have never used it, but dont want to temp the waters!!!
oh wow, laura! i am so sorry that you guys had to go through that! i'm glad sweet maddie is back to normal!
Bless her heart! I know it must've been so terrible to watch her have to go through all those procedures. I'm so glad your precious girl is doing better now. Hopefully, you all are getting lots of much needed rest!
Cannot imagine watching your baby go through all of that! Everytime I saw you, you guys were so calm and collected. We are SO glad Maddie is back to her sweet and happy self. It wasn't fun to see her so sick:(
Laura, I am so glad that Maddie is doing better. I am so sorry you all had to go through that. You did a great job in your blog capturing everything. I was tears by the end of it. I hope you all are getting some rest.
Wow. Thank God she is home and back to normal. We were praying for y'all.
Oh Laura! I am so glad Maddie is better. I have been through failed attempts to draw Jack's blood and I was sobbing by the time it was over--absolutely gut wrenching. I hope you guys get some rest. I will continue to pray for all three of you.
-Karla
Post a Comment